Thursday, September 6, 2007

Week 2 Breakdown and Picks

Week 2 Picks


1. #9 Virginia Tech at #2 LSU
This is the "it" game of Week 2 by a wide margin. Two staunch defenses, two perennial bigtime programs, two giant question marks at QB. I've had the privilege of visiting LSU a few times because it's my mom's alma mater, and let me tell you, a game in Death Valley is a religious experience. I've been to many college football games, including at Tennessee and at Clemson, but Baton Rouge has got to be in the top 10 toughest places to play in the country. Sean Glennon hasn't lived up to expectations yet at VT, and has a tendency to get rattled. He'll crack under the pressure and fall victim to the same LSU defense that had six interceptions last week. LSU.

2. Miami at #5 Oklahoma
What happened to the Hurricanes? Ever since Ken Dorsey graduated they've had Florida State syndrome at the Quarterback position. You know such a powerhouse program in the football-hungry state of Florida will be back one of these years, but 2007 isn't it. Couple that fact with Oklahoma's young talent and you have the recipe for a beat down. The score will be close, but the game won't. Oklahoma by 13.

3. #17 TCU at #7 Texas
I want to pick TCU more than I want to have my own island barely sticking above the surface of an ocean of beer. Texas looked less than impressive last week against Arkansas State, but they have homefield advantage and a higher level of talent. My head says Texas, my heart says TCU, and my gut says "it's a Thursday night, why are you analyzing college football games sober?" I'm following my heart (and my gut) and going with TCU in a very close, nailbiter of a game. TCU by 2.

4. South Florida at # 17 Auburn
This is a tricky one. Auburn didn't look good last week and USF is one of those mid-major teams trying to break through into the top tier, like Louisville has. Auburn doesn't usually have two down games in a row, so I think War Eagle bounces back and wins.

5. #16 Nebraska at Wake Forest
Wake Forest had a great season last year, surprising just about everyone in the nation. I can't see them doing it again in 2007, especially after losing in week 1 to Boston College. Not to mention that Nebraska is on a team on a severe upswing after acquiring QB Sam Keller. Nebraska.

6. Oregon at Michigan
This all I'm going to say: Michigan. Big.

No comments: